Tuesday 22 May 2012

PARENTS' relationship impacts YOUR relationship

I firmly believe that the relationship of parents may have positive or negative effects on the future relationships of their children.. If I should use my life as example, I grow up in a common-law relationship him where things were not exactly great and some might even called it abusive. How did this impact me?

As a young lady, this is how I viewed my future. A rich single independent young woman with her mansion on the hill. I need the companion of men, but not in a marital relationship. I wanted to be able to have them when I want them and run them when I don't. I saw marriage as bondage, rule by men and no man was going to rule me. I remember standing up in church on discussion on submission and showing my disapproval. Even then I thought I had great points. How can you submit to an alcoholic, an abusive husband etc I was told that the word of God says "Wives submit unto your husband as to the Lord...," and so we should be very careful who we choose as husband. Still I looked at my mother and her relationship with my dad, the bad times and I did not want that.

I am married now and have grown but spiritually and physically. I have found someone who is easy to submit to. Still my parents' relationship impacts my relationship with my husband. I often remember when my father would start up his music such as Percy Sledge, Otis Redding, Eric Donaldson, Al Green etc and he would took my mother in his hands and they would start dancing like yesterday never existed and tomorrow is going to be all right. Today, we all love dancing, my brothers and I. So sometimes I turn on my music and I would ask my husband to dance and now that he sees how much I like it, he would ask me too. Once I started to dance to Al Green's "For the good times" and tears came to my eyes because even though my parents are no longer together, those were the good times. 


Maybe you can say some ways in which the relationship of your parents have influenced your relationship. I know it can be positive or negative but sometimes you do not realize what is happening in terms of how you are dealing with your husband or wife have rooted causes in the past. So take some time and reflect and then speak to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment