Sunday 27 May 2012

Cook, wash and clean: Is it for the modern woman?

In years gone by, as a female child growing up, your mother will call you to the kitchen and you were put to cook. I remembered clearly the first time I cook and bake, I was still a young teen and neither time I got it right.  Still, before I passed my teens I got both baking and cooking right. When I got to university, I was amazed at the many young ladies who couldn't cook and some who did not care to learn. Cooking now seemed like a traditional thing, fit for housewives and the ladies of "those days".

Instead the new talk was about being a career woman, with no time for domestic duties and about making enough money to below to hire a helper. Yes, the modern day ladies and ladies to be seemed to have taken on a new way of thinking. Whether or not it is a right mode of thinking, I cannot say. I too have seen the difficulty in maintaining a home and holding down on a career, but I still believe in and live by these few guidelines and observations.

  • A woman, married or unmarried should be able to cook a decent meal for herself and her spouse even if there is a helper. LEARN TO COOK.
  • A child/children should not grow up to love the food of your helper more than your food, neither should they be spending more time with the helper or sitter, than you. STRIKE A BALANCE
  • A woman should be able to take care of a home meaning being able to handle domestic duties. I do not see this as traditional, but as part of our nature. IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU ANY LESS OF A WOMAN, BUT ACTUALLY MORE OF A WOMAN.
  • Eating out is good, but eating in is better. Let keeping out continue to be a luxury that you enjoy from time to time so that hard working income can be better spent. Remember as a lady, you are also a MANAGER OF YOUR HOME AND AT TIMES THE FINANCE.
  • Maybe the way through  a man's heart is still through his stomach. I believe a woman earn greater respect from their spouse when they can handling cooking, cleaning and washing, or may be I should say when they are good managers.
  • I still hear of husbands cheating with their helpers. DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU :)
And finally, I note this observation. There are a lot of broken homes out there because both parents are now breadwinners and the children are left to fend for themselves. The role of a woman as a MANAGER of the home, is slowly fading out and the children are going a stray. As a career woman myself, I would advise us all to STRIKE A BALANCE. 

4 comments:

  1. It is for any woman, both modern, and old. Now we have washing machines and dryers it takes the burden off! AS for the cleaning, well we all should love to sit in a clean house, so husband and wife should share these chores around the home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is also where the STRIKE A BALANCE will come in. Before men were the only breadwinner, now we have both men and women so it means that responsibility across the board needs to be shared. I do not agree with letting a helper taking over your entire home though because both of you work late on a regular basis and it is happening. Then you want to discipline children who really do not know you. There is a somewhat spiral relationship happening that involves every aspect of our lives that I believe people are not seeing and then we want to compartmentalize and fix each separately and some of it can be as simple as the change in the career of a woman and the unfulfilled role of domestic duties.

      Delete
  2. I personally don't like the idea of a helper. I don't think I would get the award for the neatest home but clean would suffice for me with some pretty active children.
    I also don't think I should spend every waking moment cleaning non stop some times u just have to learn how not to let the work overwhelm you, incrementally is fine until it is all done. Mothers have to be careful that they don't instill in boys the idea that housework is womans work. If my husband was not helpful I tell you he would be having some lean nights in bed. no help no sex LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol lol...I thank God my husband is helpful to. The thing is we just need to strike a balance. Like you, I don't like the idea of a helper, but if I have one come in twice per week, I wont see it as bad, but I really don't think my children nor my husband should be seeing my helper and eating her food more than mines.

      Delete