Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Jamaican Men: Through the eyes of a foreigner

When I first came to Jamaica, my initial contact with a Jamaican man made me conclude that I will NEVER enter into a relationship with a Jamaican man. As time progressed, I stuck to my initial conclusion. I found them to be highly forward in their approach, leaving nothing to the imagination. I remembered the first guy who approached me, asked me if I had a boyfriend, when I responded yes, he stated that once I am not married, I am single. To me they were very full of themselves. I also saw them as unfaithful, searching to see what they can get from you before you return to your island or country. I made up mind no matter how I attractive they were, never a Jamaican.

https://www.facebook.com/ilovejamaicanmen
Still there was something alluring about Jamaica men. Generally, they are well groomed and dress great; in fact some go as far as shaping their eye brows :) When you meet a handsome, well dressed Jamaica and he opens his mouth to address you and is able to cut back tremendously on the forwardness, he can become almost irresistible. Their accent is very strong and manly and it grabs your attention, even the 'magga' man can capture your attention simply by speaking. On this note, word of caution, do not blind date simply by a phone conversation with a Jamaican because what you hear might not add up to what you may see. Still if you add handsome,well dressed, and the accent (proper English or not), physically a lot of women may become attracted to Jamaicans because at the end of the day every woman wants a strong, dominant (not domineering) man in their life and the accent of a Jamaican does command respects.

As time went by, I was able to increase the sample of men from which I drawn my initial conclusion and I became comfortable especially after the females explained a bit more of the culture of Jamaica, very important I found. A vivid example that was used by a colleague was that if a Jamaican man says to a lady "yo pum pum (referring to the vagina) fat", it is actually a compliment that Jamaican ladies will understand. lol Well I surely pointed out that from the little island where I come from, it is a huge disrespect and the man who is brave enough to say it, would never hear the end of it. Still, I was able to tolerate Jamaican men and try at times to explain to them the differences in my culture and the way men home are different. However, I still didn't think I can be with a Jamaica man.

My husband and I
Today I am married to one, a good one I might add and he takes pleasure in reminding me of what I use to say :) Lesson learnt lol...not all Jamaicans are the same or to put  even more generally, the fault of one man cannot be used to judge another man. It can only be used to keep you vigilant :)