Saturday 26 May 2012

Gay marriages: does separating yourself from the situation mean it is not happening?

In this modern era, we have witnessed many changes in the world. While some of us have already deemed what to be important such as financial issues, there are many social issues that are coming up which cannot be ignored. When something is not close to home, it is so easy for us to ignore it, but quite recently I have started to consider many things including gay marriages. I am seeing a new society, in which my kids will grow and I wonder how would I explain to them the teachings of old. Would my Christian stand be too late? 

Many persons have given all their reasons for supporting gay marriages. At times, it even seems like if you are not in support of gay marriages, then you are a homophobic or an abuser of gays. I am neither, but as a Christian, I see it as a sin. Does that mean I would meet a gay and verbally abused them? No! However, actions are now being put in place to accept gays relationship as normal relationships. It means that eventually the definition of family, marriages etc would change and if we who called ourselves Christian are silent, what then? Am I ready to be in conflict with my child with what he has learnt from school and what he has learnt from home? Below is just a statement and a video that I am sure is of interest and supports the magnitude of the situation.  Should the world including the churches accept homosexuality? Should the church keep its corner separate and apart from this new trend? Is it an issue to you, who is not a homosexual or have no one in your family who is? Is it a topic of discussion? 

President Obama
"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or Marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married," he said.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/09/obama-gay-marriage_n_1503245.html

Beenie Man apologizes:

5 comments:

  1. Is Beenie Man apologising or asking not to be judged for his previous (20 yr old song)actions. This statement may very well be all about business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The statement moving through the media is that he apologizes. Based on the video, it sounds all like business to me, but there also seems like there is an implied apology as he is clearly stating that he is a different person now than 20 years ago. It is saying that if he has the opportunity to go back in time as himself now, he would not sing that song. Why is that? He is sorry, I suppose and his song was wrong. Whether he is in support of Gay marriages based on his respect for all people, I do not know since even I am respect all but do not support all actions. However, when artist and presidents are making the media with these things, we can see the direction in which the world is going.

      Delete
    2. The President want votes and the artiste wants to make money, so they will say anything on the short term. Unfortunately there are long term effects, which they do not really think long enough about. The liberal attitudes are only in recognition of their realities, which for the president means he gets more votes and for the artiste he gets to perform in more countries. So if when a position is taken on an issues its not done so from a perspective that reflects the true beliefs of the person, then how serious should the public take it? And should the debate change to make sure that these people don't just say things because it gets them ahead? Of course they are entitled to their personal opinions and there is nothing wrong with self preservation. But it does make you wonder.

      Delete
    3. correction ... 'its' should be it's

      Delete
    4. I cannot agree with you more. For president Obama, if he is so much in agreement with gay marriages, why it took him so close to election to announce his support. Weren't all the points he mentioned there even before he was elected in office? And for Beenie Man...I watched the video and it seem to me it is more about not losing his market. But the greater implications are there and are being ignored. I so much wonder if the President would accept any of his daughters being in love with someone of the same sex, should this happen. And for us who have not yet jumped on the wagon of legalizing gay marriages, do we think we are a far off? I have seen how the decisions in the first world countries have influenced us in the so call third world, so what implications would the president decision have on us, the countries who have not yet decided on this ruling?

      Delete