Saturday 28 July 2012

The Mother-in-law Situation: Monster or Mother?

Source: technorati.com
In all my life of dating and relationships, I  had never a mother-in-law who never liked me or who give me a hard time. Even now that I am married, my mother-in-law and I get along just fine, but I have heard some stories about the effects of the mother-in-law. There are some mother-in-laws who cannot let go of their ADULT child, they do not respect his/her choice and their main objective is to exercise all authority in ensuring the relationship ends. 

I remember saying to my husband when he was taking me home for the first time, if your mother doesn't like me, that's it. It might have sounded like a joke, but I was pretty serious. I had no intention of spending my life battling no mother-in-law and given that my husband is an only male, that would have been a serious battle. Now you may say, once the son loves you, then what it has to do with the mother-in-law, and I will say plenty, for I have heard about mother-in-laws who destroyed relationships and marriages. Sadly, the love from the son/daughter for you is not enough, for he is torn between his love for you (who just came on the scene) and the mother (who was there from his birth). It takes a strong, JUST, seriously in love and committed man/woman to look their mother right in their eyes and say "Mom, can you give us a chance to work this out by ourselves or I'll appreciate it if you would keep out of our marriage or you need to respect my wife/husband and our relationship even though you do not like her/him..." In fact, I think a woman quicker use those words to their mother, than a son.

Now my question to you is do you think you should get involve with a son even though his mother does not like you? How would you deal with a mother-in-law who doesn't like you? Do you see the relationship between a wife and her mother-in-law as important? And finally how should you treat a mother-in-law who does not like or even respect you? It would be nice if we can get some points as to the way forward in terrible relationships with mother-in-law.



Be sure to like our blog page.

No comments:

Post a Comment