Wednesday 11 July 2012

My Wedding Day

At the reception
I was asked several times prior to our wedding and even while I was dressing on the day if I was nervous, but where was nervousness I did not. I even asked my husband if he was, every time the question was posed to me, but he wasn't either. We started to analyse the situation because nervousness seemed to be pretty normal at weddings. Could it be because we were busy planning? And then I thought, I was marrying my best friend, the person with whom I spent most of my days talking to and laughing with. For the first time in my relationships, I can be exactly who I was with no fear or favour and I was confident that this was what he fell in love with...Me! Was he the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with...ABSOLUTELY! So why get nervous? 

So on the day, I thought of looking great for my husband and taking his breath away in the dress he had never seen. I felt I had done justice to myself with the assistance of my make-up artist, hair dresser and nail technician. This was it. I was walking to the altar to cleave to the man that had made me happy over the past years, with no regrets, no uncertainty, no doubts. I fixed my eyes on him. Were there any other persons in the room? Of course, but I did not look to the right or to the left, for my husband to be was at the altar looking back at me and I smiled. He looked great and he smiled as he hugged my mom and took me away.

The day progress just as I as I would have loved it too, with smiles not only on our faces, but the rest of the bridal party and the attendees. He took care of me, holding my dress, helping me get seated and it was not new to him because he was always quick to observe when something was out of place on me and fixed it and I loved him for that, as he didn't have eyes only for himself, but his girlfriend who was now his wife. Thanks to the MC, our reception was filled with laughters and cheers and my only regret was that there wasn't enough time for everyone to get up and spend sometime dancing. But my husband and I danced, to a mixture of songs we chose, but never get to practise too :) From the song Santa Maria, though we free style what should have been a tango, to several other songs we dance in the most exciting way, as if it was only the two of us in the room. 

I remembered when my husband proposed, he stated that I came to Jamaica and stole his heart, but I failed to tell him that in touching his, mine was also captured. Would I do it again? Only if it is to the same man, the one who still have me today wondering if I am in a dream. 

Dedicated to Rahsaan Smith. May the Lord to bless us and keep us and cause his face to shine upon us. May he lift up his countenance upon us and give us peace always.

No comments:

Post a Comment