Wednesday 4 July 2012

Addressing Hollywood: All the money, but little happiness

There is a saying that money does not bring you happiness and it is so true when we look at Hollywood actors and actresses. I am always saddened when I look at the faces of young actors, who are now grown up, but are said to be on drugs or have at some point attempted suicide. I asked myself, why are they like this? These persons spend a lot on therapy also and so my next question is, apart from  the high cost, what is the therapy doing? 

When I look at child stars, many of whom are home-schooled and have to be travelling vastly across the planet to be apart of various movies, how are their childhood develop? Most of them are children of other famous people, so do they really need to spoil their childhood to the degree that they do, spending more time ACTING than being real, finding who they are? How do they develop their true personality? Is that what the therapy is for? I have so many questions because although I am not rich, when I look back at my childhood I was very happy  amidst the poverty. I had fun playing dolly house, hop scotch, gun shooting and other games with OTHER KIDS. So sometimes I wonder, is the effect of acting throughout their lives resulted in them becoming adult before their times and for that reason most of them turn to drugs? Even some of the older actors cannot bear the pressures of their careers and other aspects of their lives as controlled by fame and wealth, it would seem. How much more the children whose childhood is lost in it?

Sometimes, these stars appear like caged chickens locked up in the world of acting, taking on different identities and when they are given a break to be them, they do not know how and like escape chickens, they indulge in parties and drugs in an effort not to think about their own lives, a live they cannot understand, a real identity they cannot find. Sometimes, many of us yearn to be in Hollywood, to become a part of the world of wealth and fame, but can we handle it? I believe that depending on the age that we start it, it may become easier, but with fame and wealth comes other issues. Look at how quick some marry and divorce. It would appear that only a few marry out of love and most is for convenience including publicity, therefore eroding the very covenant of marriage. I often wonder what it is like to be apart of Hollywood, not knowing who your true friends are, who are willing to stand with you if today you lost all your wealth, who are simply acting in your lives...you cannot walk the street freely without having some paparazzi with their cameras on you, little to no privacy even in your homes. Wow! And your children are exposed to it too. 

I watch a lot of movies so this blog is in no way saying to stop acting, but if I should advice, I would say to the parents of the kids, choose for them to be children over them being workers, because that is what they are when they begin acting. There time on the set should never hinder them from enjoying the freedom and happiness of simply being a child. To the adults, take a break. Paparazzi often find you because it seems that your every travel at time is an announcement and you have to go to a country or island known to have famous people. Take a vacation to a quiet little island like St.Vincent and the Grenadines and come alone with a small amount of spending money and leave your wealth at home. Come sit on a big stone at the river side and breathe  in some fresh hillside air. Take some of the money you pay to your therapist and visit my island to do the things that you hardly ever get to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment