Saturday 21 July 2012

Reminiscing

Yesterday, in searching for a book, I found a package with post cards and letters, which my mom kept neatly in a folder. They were addressed to me and came from family, pen pals, past boyfriends, admirers and close friends. As I sat on my bed going through each of them, I was taken down memory lane to:

  • The boyfriend who thought he loved me more than words can say and gifted me with post cards whose words seemed so limited that it had to be filled with his own flattery words addressed to me. The boyfriend, who is no longer in my life and though we still talk from time to time, we have grown so far apart, it is as if those moments never existed.
  • Then there was a poem from someone I dated. I read it through, very powerful words even today from someone who is very intelligent and intuitive. The poem called the journey spoke of before he met me, before I knew he loved me and what might be in the future. A poem that took two pages but maintained its rhythm and rhymes. I smiled while I read it. Once upon there was a guy who loved me, whose love I did not return and should I do it again, we will walk the same path, but I cannot denied how that poem touched me, ohhh the power of words that are beautifully put together.
  • My Trinidadian penpal whom I met on a Youthfest camp some years ago. Where was he now, What is he doing I wondered as I went through the many cards and letters. We wrote each other for a little and then it all stopped. I could not remember when or where, but for that moment I wish I knew; I wish I knew where he was, what he was doing and if he remembers me. So I searched on facebook for his Indian name, but sadly he was not apart of the network. His letters had no return addresses and I did not remember where I had written his address years ago when I met him. Yesterday, I wished the cord was never broken.
  • Finally and most touching was a letter from my friend, my best friend...We had connected so much and cared for each other so much but then he went to study and I did not know today would come. I read his letter in which he wrote his name in Chinese :) I read as we both thought we would have talked regularly and would never lost our closeness. Yet today, marks several years since I have seen him and hugged him. We were not apart of each other's weddings, neither have we met each other's spouse. Years have come between us and although we talk from time to time, we cannot deny that time has changed us both and has shaken our friendship. Still we look forward to the day, when again we would see, maybe with our kids, maybe without, but it would be a real blessing to me.
So I know that I am not alone with the cards and the letters or love poems, nor am I alone with the friendships that were weakened along life's journey, but I am thankful that in the moments of goodness we had taken the time out to send a card or to write a letter. Should I look back, I can see only the good times through these tools and the persons who have touched my life in one way or the other. In spite of the extensiveness of technology around us, never fail to touch someone else's life with a card, a poem or a letter.


Be sure to like us by clicking the like button on Find us on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment