Saturday 7 July 2012

SEASONAL CHRISTIANS: Is this about you?

This weekend is a long weekend in St.Vincent and the Grenadines because of our Carnival activities, a huge part of our Vincentian cultural activities and I respect it as such, but as a Christian, I have chosen to live a different lifestyle and so I do not attend carnival. Even the non-Christians will call me a hypocrite and lose respect for me if they see me at carnival because as far as they are concern, Christians should not be there.

Now over the years, it would seem as if the churches within my island have what I would call Seasonal Christians. During Carnival season, the church gets very scanty and at Old Years or New Years Eve (the night before the new year), you cannot find empty seats in the church and even the faithful ones have to give up their seats at times to accommodate the crowd. This crowd will be maintained until the early part of the year until close to another big activity like carnival. What is happening? Why is this so?

Now I know that St.Vincent is generally a quiet island, with little to no activities. I know many times we as Christians cry out for places to go and just have some fun, apart from beaches and gardens. So maybe, when these activities come up and the island becomes busy and excited and I would even add wild-up, as it  feels that way sometimes, Christians lose their way. Excuses are being made to go to the festival. Some says they are young and needs to enjoy life, others say they are only watching and what is wrong with that, while some states it is our culture. If you are on the right track, there would be no need to give excuses and moreover if you read the bible, you would realise all you have are EXCUSES. Even if you have rest your bible aside, then all you need to do is listen to the unsave. I am sure they will tell you, if not at that point, then right after the carnival when you feel the need to confess your sins and ask for forgiveness. Many times we point finger and say Judge not, but I can say this to you, if you continuously live a wayward life (in church today, out tomorrow), then your evangelism, a very important part of your Christian life, weakens.

I have friend/family who comes and want to go to the festival, I let them know that I would not be able to accomodate them with such. You know what I am doing...I am making a Stand! I am not perfect and I love my music. I loved my carnival and I love to dance, but also I love my Jesus and I prefer to stay on the outside and fight the battle of the fleshly desire, than to be a Christian only when it suits me.

Where do you stand? Be careful of the choices you make this weekend, it might just be your last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment