Sunday 8 July 2012

NO WHERE TO SIT IN KINGSTOWN!!!

http://blog.travelpod.com/
I love my island very much, but sometimes I wonder what the developers and urban planners are thinking? It seems as if the need for public spaces are not high on the agenda. Instead the little spaces that were once used are secured from the public. Have you gone to Kingstown lately and did some shopping? Where did you sit when you get tired? I guess you might have done like me and go to a restaurant, buy something to eat or drink and sit a little or go into a shoe store, sit and try on shoes until your back is well rested.

Outside of shopping, where in Kingstown can you sit and relax with your friends? I use to sit at the Old Carnegie Public Library, but I have noticed that it is properly secured from the public so that no one can get in there to sit. Maybe it is because it is viewed as a heritage site, but excluding the public in this way...I do not agree. Now Bank of St.Vincent, the new building off heritage square, placed a few benches in its vicinity, but when the bank closed the security personnel would be sure to inform you that if you are not using the ATM you cannot sit there. I have had my experience. It would be real nice if the capital, the busiest area on the island during the week, have some seats that persons can just relax from time to time. The situation is terrible. Is it an issue with finding space or improper planning? I wonder if the situation is the same with other small islands. 




Would love to hear your experiences and opinions on this. Be sure to like us on facebook.

5 comments:

  1. Please jas, check all sources of info before posting an article like this one. I will not comment further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment, but I would say here that I have based this article not on sources of information, but on my own experience and it is not to pull down my country in any way. Read the article carefully and you would see it asked questions, they are not rhetorical. Just today I was in Kingstown. While shopping, I wanted to sit and could not find a seat. Now before requesting me not to post an article like this one, although I am entitled to an opinion, I would prefer that you refute it and say there are several places in Kingstown to sit...for example and you name. When I write these articles, I usually ask people to desist from negative comments. If you have an opinion, please share it, but to ask someone to desist from doing something without refuting what they say, simply doesn't make any sense. Again, I have been to Kingstown several times, even today and every thing I have wrote is what I have experienced. Since it is clear from your comment that your experience is different, please share. I am willing to listen and not only that, but to apologize for staying the wrong thing.

      Delete
    2. Correction...*saying instead of staying.

      Delete
  2. You are correct there is no where to sit. Even the bus stops have no seats. I understand that one because the vagrants took them over - the sponsored seats at the bus stops that existed previously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh so there were sponsored seats... that was a great idea, but I haven't seen any. Maybe we need to put something in place for vagrants while at the same time put environmental/police officers in place to exercise authority over vandalism. I get backache when shopping so a two seats would be good and even if we are not shopping, I think Kingstown should be a place where can still come into town whether in the day or late evening and sit, relax and chill with our friends.

      Delete