Tuesday 26 June 2012

A happy marriage: Everyone's desire

Whenever I hear people divorce in the early years of their marriage, I wonder what happen? Shouldn't they still be living in the bliss? Why did they get married? Was it pregnancy, were they both ready? Who force who? In the midst of all the questions, is my own desire for a happy marriage and so I explore the many things I can do to improve and maintain my happy marriage. These are some of my practices:

  • I do not believe in arguing and so whenever issues arise we talk. Now doesn't that sound fairy tale? Well although it is not easy, it is what we do. There are times I become upset with my husband and he would notice and might ask one question what is wrong? I might not answer because I am so upset and thinks he should know lol Personally, I feel God clamps down my mouth sometimes because the angrier I become, the less I speak and for those persons who know me, they would know that I chat a lot. Sometimes at that very moment, there is this questionable desire for him harass me into telling him what is wrong, so I can release how angry I am, but he does not. Instead, he waits until  I am somewhat cool and then he approaches again. By then, I am calm and ready to speak.
  • We practise the words "I am sorry". Not the one where you willfully and continuously do wrong and then you are quick to say I am sorry and expect it to end there. Always doing negative things and saying sorry, would eventually make your 'sorries' worthless. We might be talking about the problem, I feel my husband is wrong, he does not think so or the opposite, but at the end based on what was said, one of us is shown to be in the wrong. Whoever that person is, will use the words. Sometimes persons realize they are wrong, but still hold their ground because no one wants to be wrong. Do you know that there are some persons who never said I am sorry because they are never wrong? 
  • We do not have senseless argument for no make-up sex, neither do we fight up for an argument because our motto is, a relationship with no argument is boring. I also do not want to see how angry my husband can get and therefore force an argument on him and I am sure he feels the same. I am happy just the way we are and as along as it can stay that way, his angry side can remain a mystery to me.
  • I do not PRESSURE my husband to read my mind. I know there are things that we wish they can just get, but sometimes they are just blank and are not getting our subtle hints so for me I am going to talk. So if you pick up the socks twice with a frown on your face and had to do it a third time, clearly he does not understand you do not want them there. This in no way give you an opportunity to shout and loud him up about his dirty socks on the floor day after day, but to simply let him know how you feel. A husband who cares would understand and try to make things easier for you. Sometimes argument push them away, caused them to respond harshly and to spitefully continue. You would be amazed at what soft kind words with a smiling face can do.
  • If I feel like going out sometimes, I do not always wait for my husband to ask me out. I ask him out too and when I do, I date him...meaning I pay. Does he always have to pay even when you are the one who wants to show him a good time?
  • There are times I might wish for him to be more romantic. We would all love that to come naturally for every man. It doesn't unfortunately. We do not want to tell them to do this, that way because we don't want them to go back and do exactly what we ask, thus defeating the element of surprise and creativity. So for me, I try to be inventive and creative when it comes to things I do for him, especially on special dates like birthdays and anniversary. It is my hope that he will follow the example set lol, but if I notice he doesn't, again I talk. I do not say specifically what I want, but I use words such as surprise, creative, new, inexpensive. I know nice things cost money, but I express to him that I can appreciate a creative gift even if it is cheap. 
I believe both man and woman should remember and practise their vows from the beginning of their marriage. DIVORCE IS NOT AN OPTION! TIL DEATH DO US PART...that is how we all ended our vows.From early, the two of you should determine how far you will go for a happy marriage and how much you are willing to comprise and even sacrifice. Don't take it for granted that because you just got married, your marriage can run on the bliss from the wedding day with no further input. Sorry to burst your bubble. The fact that two different persons are now occupying one space (a home) means that the efforts to maintain a happy marriage starts from day one. 

Now this is for a couple who enter into a committed relationship with the same mindset. If you force the man/woman to marry you, accept the marriage proposal even though you know he/she was cheating on you just because of pregnancy or because you are marriage hungry then both of you would need some professional counselling and guidance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment