Sunday 3 June 2012

Beauty vs Brain: Ms SVG 2012



Last night while on Facebook, I saw different posting about what was happening at Ms. SVG 2012, someone even posted a link where you can watch it live and so I logged on. I got to see the last two talent pieces, the interviews and the evening gown section. I am always particularly interested in the talent and interview section, but the interview section has the greatest effect on me. It is like watching the ending of a penalty shoot out for a football match or more so watching the West Indies Cricket team having 1 ball remaining and needing one run. I  am sure you understand the feelings I am trying to express, and to see I was not the one answering the question you would understand where I am coming from. It is also the part of the show where the nerves of the contestants are at their highest and if they were not fully immersed in the English Language, then the mistakes come alive. Furthermore, it tests your intelligence and awareness on current issues nationally and internationally. As the interview section also carry the most points, it is telling us that at the end of the day, the show it self is more about brain than beauty, but if we can get both qualities in the individual, then we have the ideal winner.

Anyway, I listened, sometimes with my eyes piercing through my fingers that covered my eyes and I empathize with these brave girls. I know some would 'beat up' themselves after because it is not that they did not know, but could not think under pressure. Then I heard Ms. Carice Glasgow and without seeing most of what happened before, I said HERE IS THE QUEEN! Eloquent, relaxed, poised, articulated are just some adjectives I would use to describe her. To me, she by pass the rest of the contestants tremendously in this segment not simply by answering the question (which some failed to do), but by delivering it in a queenly manner.

It was the same feeling I got when I saw Ms. Terranza Franklyn in her evening gown. Most of the other contestants' designers probably wanted them to walk naked on the stage. It is the most shear materials I have ever seen in a show. Well I guess that is the way evening gowns for queen show suppose to be, I don't know, but here came a lady, Ms Franklyn in something different, yet elegant and I loved it.

Well after the announcements, the reports on facebook came in the numbers. I was glad that most of the persons on my page were in agreement that the results were fair, but there were a few who I guess in being saddened, by the fact that Ms. Franklyn, whom they supported from the beginning and deemed most beautiful did not win even though she captured Best Swimwear, Best talent, Best evening gown and Ms. Photogenic. She is indeed a beauty. I understand the disappointment, but I have seen shows where the the winner did not win one title besides the one that crowned her. Why do you think that is? Just as in the classroom one student may placed first by a 0.2 of a mark, so it is in these shows. All contestants may be consistent and it only takes one category, and I must I say the one that has the highest score, to put one contestant infront of the other. Why not just rally around the winner? The winner, I must say, I am proud to have representing us given the way she truly delivered in that interview. Congrats to all the contestants, but more so to Ms. Carice Glasgow. You have represented us well and I am sure you would do just that at Ms. Carival.

2 comments:

  1. I strongly agree with you, the show is mostly about brain at the end of it all. Look how many points the interview section carries! I think nerves got to a lot of the girls, but even so when they make mistakes the didnt correct their grammar errors! I think the results were good. I salute the ladies, its takes a lot to go on that stage, knowing how vincentians love to comment and criticise hehe its what makes us a unique people! YAY. P.S they really need to improve the talent section ,i think candy man should coach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really do not think any is dumb. The thing is we spend most of our time speaking dialect and so when it comes to speaking the standard English, we are not as smooth and that with the pressure of answering can really affect how good we answer a question. We probably need speech therapist.
      I too was a bit disappointed with what I see of the talents. I enjoy Candy Man by far lol.

      Delete