Sunday 17 June 2012

Facebook Statuses: Watch what you say

I believe I can call myself a regular facebook user; I use it every day. I have been able to read the statuses of many of my friends, acquaintances and other people (even some I feel close to) who just add me for games and other reasons I do not know. I myself have written different statuses from time to time. For me, I tend to ask myself one main question before writing a status: How would it help those who are reading it? I guess that is why most of my statuses are Godly, but I have read some statuses, some of which, I wish didn't caught my eyes and I asked myself time after time, WHY. Are they for likes, for popularity, for comments or because of boredom, stupidity or insensitivity? There are other times the status seems like the persons is not sure who they are or what they want to do. I know everyone is their own man or woman and can do or say what they want. I have no quarrel with that, but it seems to me that if you can correct a wrong, do it. The person can take your advice or refuse, but at the end of the day you cannot say you didn't try. Here are some examples of statuses I have a problem with:


  • To the haters and 'bitches'- I think it takes a certain level of maturity to approach someone who you are having a problem with or put someone in their place, if that is what you want to do, on the phone or face to face or even through an email than to be sharing your business with the rest of the world to someone who might not even be in your friend list and so is not seeing or reading your statuses. Where are you getting the energy to waste on people you really don't care about? GROW UP!
  • The seemingly "unsure Christians'" Statuses- I love Christian statuses. I find them to be very uplifting, but when you claim to be a Christian and each day you want to encourage someone to follow God, be very careful what statuses you put up on your 'non-Godly' status days if I can put it that way or the pictures you display or are tagged in. There is no in between and don't even bother to say do not study my business, after all you did not keep it to yourself but place on a public social network. The 'F' note statuses or jokes cannot follow the Godly status. You cannot claim that you are a Christian, telling others about God (you are not keeping it to yourself) and then either have some half-naked picture on facebook or you bend over dancing with a man with your head to the ground. Be careful. You do not have to please me or anyone else, but is God pleased? YOU CANNOT SERVE GOD AND MAMMON!
  • Just writing a status saying that you are not studying "the ex, his new girlfriend etc" shows that they are on your mind. INVEST YOUR TIME IN YOUR FUTURE!
  • And finally the 'dirty word' statuses- Well there are some people who were bold faced enough to say if you do not like it, get off their page. Well most times I am on my page, but see the statues still just because of the way facebook is set up, but recently, I have found the way to hide story or simply unsubscribe from persons with those statuses. Still I am baffled. What is the reason for putting up these statuses?  Is it the avenue for blowing out or unwinding? I wonder if that was the intention of the developer when he asked, What is on your mind? Maybe it was, express yourself just as you feel with no sugar coating. It is still my hope though that we try to be selfless and think of all the young persons, some children, who are on these social networks and in our friend list and be mindful of the statuses we write. IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU. 



No comments:

Post a Comment