Wednesday 3 July 2013

To be cheated on by your Christian spouse...

It is not easy falling in love and getting married, only to live a life with a man or woman who is cheating, especially if that person is suppose to be a Christian. As Christians at times, when two non-Christians get married or one Christian and a non-Christian and  the non-Christian cheats, we say things like what you expect, he/she needs the Lord, they should have seen it coming etc However, when it is two Christians and one cheats, we are lost for words, or say, he/she was never saved. Still my focus is not on the cheating, but what happens after, how it affects the other partner.

It seems that some Christian ladies and males become so distraught when their Christian spouses cheat that it shakes their very own Christianity. Some end up backsliding and I wonder why. Is it because they want to remarry and their church is against divorce? Is it that the core of their relationship with Christ was dependent on their relationship with their spouse? Is it that they are so angry and bitter against their spouse that to go to church and remain in Christ creates extra stress because they cannot forgive or don't want to? Is it the need for sex? There could be so many reasons and one can even understand some of the reasons, but is the lost of one relationship with their spouse worth the lost of their relationship with God?

Growing up in church, even when I was not a Christian or live a committed life, I knew that I wanted a husband who was a Christian. I wanted a family that will go to church together and pray together. I did not want to leave my husband at home and I got that when I get married, but I also bear in mind that a human is a human and even when you have a beautiful relationship, disruptions sometimes take place that you did not foresee even when you thought you were most vigilant. Hence, an important part of my life was to make God the centre of attraction. I tell myself as sweet, loving and caring my husband is, I do not know what the future holds and although I want us to have a 'til death do us part' experience, it might not happen. Should my relationship ends before such time, God forbid, my prayer is find refuge in my true love, Christ, to draw close to him and get so wrapped up in him and his works that I will receive the healing of the heart that is needed to get over my spouse. I urge every married Christian couple to evaluate exactly where Christ is in their life in comparison to their spouse. You might think he is first, but when you start your evaluation, you realize Christ is second and should this be the case, the lost of a husband/wife may mean the lost of your relationship with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment