Saturday 12 March 2016

What makes Jamaican Athletes Great?



Usain Bolt
When it comes to sprinting, Jamaica is the best! Usain Bolt, for example holds the world record in 100m and 200m, while Shelly-Ann Fraser is the first Caribbean woman to win a a gold in 100m at the Olympics.









These sprinters have also been awarded Sports Man and Woman of the year in Jamaica several times. Yes they are indeed great, but the truth is they are not alone. I can name several other great athletes in Jamaica. What is even more interesting is that this is the trend set in Jamaica in the world and as one retires, another rise.


Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce

Here is a video of Usain in action when he broke the world record. Memories and heartfelt praises from all of us in the Caribbean







The question to be asked is WHAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS GREATEST?


I have been living in Jamaica for over 9 years now and what I have observed is:

Sports Culture! Sports Spirit!


When I was living in St. Vincent & the Grenadines (SVG), my homeland, I attended what we call Inter-School Sports. It is equivalent to what is called Champs here in Jamaica, but only by virtue of who is involved- High School Students.

 In SVG, students attended Inter-School Sports to 'lyme' rather than to support their school and as such they preferred not to wear their school uniforms as requested. Even when a price was attached for those not in uniform, students will pay or will try to trick the system by wearing the uniform and then changing over into their 'pretty clothes' in the bathroom once they are in. In addition to that is the limited support from parents, teachers and alumni. I always believe that we were not putting enough emphasis on our sports, but as I said earlier, I have been living abroad for more than 9 years so hopefully perception and attitude towards track and field in SVG have changed.

Champs in Jamaica is completely different. I could not believe the overwhelming support coming from all. It is a national event. 
Do you know the price for a ticket to enter Champs on the weekends?
It ranges from JA$2500 to 3500 which is anywhere from US$20-28 for Grandstand depending on whether you attend on a Friday or a Saturday. Cheaper tickets are available for Bleachers from JA$1000-1500, also dependent on whether it is Friday or Saturday. I am sure you recognized clearly why the week days price is low. WORK!

On a Saturday, however you would not recognized that the price of tickets are that high because of the overwhelming support from students, parents, alumni etc. Many show support by wearing their school colours or ties.

Here is a video showing champs in 2015.

While you are watching a race, TAKE A LOOK AT THE STANDS! LOOK AT THE MEDIA SUPPORT! CHECK OUT THE QUESTIONS THAT ARE BEING ASKED. IT SEEMS AS IF WE ARE AT THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS IN BEIJING.







So the question again is WHAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS? WHEN IS IT INITIATED?



Answer: They start from babies!


On Tuesday of this week, I went to my child's daycare. They were having Sport's Day! It was not the first, but it was first I was attending. I did not attend before because I asked myself, what can these babies do? Truthfully, I felt as if it was a waste of time to take time off from work to go and look at it. Culture! A Jamaica colleague influenced me this year. She said to me you have to go  and she was so excited about last year, I had to see for myself.

I was dumbfounded. I was amazed!

Parking areas were full as parents took time off to support their babies.

There were horns blowing in excitement.

There were laughing competitions for the babies who could not walk, but for those who could have, they had races.

There were coaches to set off the race and persons to say who reached in first, second and third.

My daughter was a cheerleader and had her upcoming races. I was a proud mama!

I am not going to just keep writing. I have lots of pictures and short videos, but just two more things before I add these below.

I saw some 2 years and 3 years old dipping in there heads like someone trained them for the race LOL!!!


And finally, My 2 years old daughter won one of her race and came second for the other and had me shouting, screaming and grinning for the rest of the day.

NOW FOR THE PICTURES AND VIDEOS



My daughter in what I was told is her cheer leading uniform. 
Here are some other Cheerleaders representing their houses




HER PRICE FOR WINNING!!!!





AND NOW FOR THE RACES- WATCH AND ENJOY!





My daughter's race. She had won the sprint before and in all the excitement I did not record. Good thing I captured this one. Excuse the screaming.




Red House in Action! The girls at play. Listen to the overwhelming shouts of the parents



The Boys in Action. Red House Again....Yes I am a bit bias lol. We came second overall.




This one is pretty fast. Another boys's race.


SUPPORTERS AT THE SPORTS DAY


Thank you for viewing. Remember to like my page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment